In 1888, Dimitris Yamougiannis, in Plomari, continued the shipbuilding tradition of making wooden boats from local pine wood. With three or four assistants, they sloped slopes from Akrassi to Karagatsi to pick, cut and transport wood pine trees that were suitable for harvesting trencharts, boats, and wagons.
The orders began to rise, boats sailing to the Yamagiannis shipyard to agree with ship orders from boats to three-ship sailboats.
Commercial vessels built in the eastern Mediterranean at the end of the 18th century and until almost the middle of the 19th century are mostly sailboats due to favourable conditions for the development of trade.
Although the shipbuilding of wooden boats did not stop, signs of decay were felt at the end of the 19th century. However, during this period in the Yamagiyanis port, several boats are being constructed, as evidenced by photographs, contracts for assignment of work etc.
The art and the secrets of wood sculpture by Dimitrios Yamougianis are broadcast to the children of Costas & Ioannis Yamougiannis. The current owner of the company Doukas Yamoyiannis, grandson of Demetrios Yamougiannis and son of Kostas Yamougiannis, continuing his grandfather’s art, manufactures wooden boats, trechancha, fishing boats, boats, etc.
It is worth noting that many of the tools used by Dimitris Yamougiannis exist today in the new building of Doukas Yamougianis and decorate the walls of the newly built building: semi-bunches, paper-based drawings, «footprints» on paper and wood in 1/1 scale building sketches, secret geometric codes (professional secrets) and tools such as planes, «puzzles», special shutters, drills, bigger bats, kites, squirrels, carpets, macheles etc.
Today’s tools, combined with the new building, are sure to help the new expert shipyard continue its tradition.